So many of us grew up with the Sunday roast. Mum would “throw the meat” in the oven with some dripping and it would cook itself! Somehow, it always worked, tasted tender and succulent and was considered an easy-to-cook meal.
Here are a few easy tips on how to cook the perfect roast, whether it is beef or lamb:
- Ensure the meat is at room temperature
- Rub some oil into the meat, rather than splashing oil in the roasting dish
- Season the meat with salt and pepper
- Brown in a hot pan for a few minutes on each side – a cast iron pan works really well
- Continue cooking in a moderate oven
- Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before carving and serving. Keep your roast covered with tinfoil and tea towels to keep it warm while it’s resting.