I love it when I find old recipes of my mum’s, written out by hand, and tucked away in a drawer. Check this one out for baking a ham from scratch, just like she use to do on the farm every Christmas. This is virtually unheard of these days as most people buy a ham already cooked and then just glaze it. Enjoy this piece of nostalgia.
In case her handwriting is a little hard to read, here it is …
- Mix together 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup pineapple juice or white wine.
- Line a roasting dish with tinfoil. Place ham in dish with skin on.
- Pour half of the mixture over the ham then cover with tinfoil and seal.
- Cook approximately 3 hours at 180C.
- Take skin off ham then score the fat and decorate with whole cloves, and pineapple rings or pieces.
- Pour over rest of mixture and return to the oven for ¼ hour.
- Place on plate and sprinkle brown sugar over the ham while hot.
- Can be eaten hot or cold.